Enhancing Efficiency and Decision-Making
Key Aspects of a Virtual Operation Center (VOC)
Working in a Virtual Operation Center (VOC) within the oil and energy industry requires specific roles, complex processes, and a range of features. By finding the right information at the right time, operators can gain collective awareness and make informed decisions. Let’s explore some key roles, processes, and features that contribute to the effectiveness of a VOC.
Here are examples of key roles proceses and features we have met working across different clients:
- Responsible for overseeing VOC operations and ensuring smooth functioning.
- Manages data collection and integration processes.
Subject Matter Experts:
- Provide expertise in specific areas relevant to the VOC’s operations.
- Contribute to real-time monitoring and data integration efforts.
- Analyze collected data to extract insights and identify trends.
- Assist in incident management and utilize alerting and notification systems.
- Handle system configurations and maintain alerting and notification systems.
- Play a crucial role in incident management and system upgrades
Data Collection and Integration:
- Collect data from various sources and integrate it for a comprehensive view.
- Ensure seamless data flow into the VOC for analysis and decision-making.
- Continuously monitor data streams, systems, and processes in real-time.
- Detect anomalies, anticipate issues, and maintain situational awareness.
- Identify, prioritize, track, and resolve incidents promptly.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and subject matter experts for effective problem-solving.
Data Analysis and Insights:
- Analyze collected data to derive meaningful insights and identify areas for improvement.
- Support decision-making processes with accurate and actionable information.
Real-time Monitoring and Alerting:
- Provide operators with up-to-date information for quick decision-making.
- Deliver timely alerts and notifications for critical events and abnormal conditions.
Collaboration and Communication Tools:
- Facilitate effective communication and collaboration among VOC operators and stakeholders.
- Enable seamless information sharing and collaborative problem-solving.
Data Integration and Aggregation:
- Integrate data from various sources to obtain a comprehensive operational view.
- Aggregate data for analysis, reporting, and performance evaluation.
Security and Access Control:
- Implement robust security measures to protect sensitive data and systems.
- Ensure appropriate access controls to maintain data integrity and prevent unauthorized access.
Scalability and Flexibility:
- Allow for the VOC’s expansion and adaptability to evolving operational needs.
- Accommodate changing requirements and integrate new systems seamlessly.
Why is it Important?
Finding the right information at the right time is crucial for the success of a VOC. It enables:
- Real-Time Decision Making: Prompt response to changing conditions and swift issue resolution.
- Situational Awareness: Comprehensive view of operations, proactive anomaly detection, and issue anticipation.
- Effective Collaboration: Seamless information sharing and collaborative problem-solving among teams.
- Proactive Monitoring and Maintenance: Timely identification of performance issues and preventive measures.
- Regulatory Compliance: Monitoring, reporting, and addressing compliance requirements promptly.
- Continuous Improvement: Data-driven decision-making, process enhancements, and optimization initiatives.
- To ensure the availability of the right information at the right time, a VOC should incorporate robust data integration, real-time monitoring, and visualization capabilities. Effective communication channels, alerting systems, and data analytics tools are also essential.
In VORs, Epsis leverages the widely-used Microsoft Teams platform for enhanced collaboration, benefiting from its large user base and cross-company functionality. Combined with Enify, Epsis’ own software, teams gain easy access to applications, information sharing, and efficient screen management for improved situational awareness and productivity.
By leveraging the expertise of various roles, implementing efficient processes, and utilizing the right features, a VOC empowers operators to make informed decisions, enhance efficiency, and drive continuous improvement in the oil and energy industry.